– NAME: Lisa Maxbauer Price, journalist and author of Squash Boom Beet (the local farm food book)
– THE BIG IDEA: I’d like to create an annual event called the “ReadLocal” Riot. I want to bring together the largest ever collection of local book authors to celebrate and showcase their work with their community. A “riot” can mean “an impressively large and varied display of something.” This would be an undeniably strong and visible showing of local writers in town, similar to the Downtown Art Walk. This public event would also be supported by the creation of an evolving, online database of local authors.
– HOW IS IT PERSONALLY FULFILLING? I’ve been a professional writer for 18 years. But writers can often feel like solitary “islands” while working alone in their home offices. It would be fulfilling to bring all these talented people together to share their insider wisdom with one another. It would also be special to publicly showcase writers in a way that is often reserved only for visual artists.
– HOW DOES IT MAKE A POSITIVE IMPACT ON THE COMMUNITY?
Read Local Riot would be yet another example of how this community supports and welcomes creative folks. It would financially support local writers and the local shops that sell their books. Plus, it would give book lovers of all ages a chance to meet authors face-to-face and feel inspired.
– WHAT WILL BE “PHASE ONE” OR YOUR FIRST EVENT (AND DETAILS)
My fist step is to assemble a list of authors living and working in the area. I already know so many talented people here, but each writer I’ve met has introduced me to another one that wasn’t previously on my radar. So I know there are more our there.
– WHAT IS YOUR VISION FOR “PHASE 2” AS YOU MOVE IT AHEAD? Phase 2 involves picking a date and securing downtown or community support for this type of event that’s part art exhibit, part cash mob.
– HOW WILL YOU USE THE $500? The money will be used for marketing/advertising and signage to get the word out to book lovers.
– WHEN DO YOU THINK THIS THING WILL LAUNCH? I’d love to see this event happen this spring.
– HOW CAN WE (THE AUDIENCE) GET INVOLVED OR SUPPORT? If you know local book authors, please have them get in touch with me. And if you have ideas for an indoor or outdoor venue, I’m all ears. firstname.lastname@example.org